James Berman, Partner
James Berman is a partner with Zeisler & Zeisler. During his over 30 years of experience, he has represented a wide array of parties in workouts and bankruptcy proceedings. These include public and private companies, creditors’ committees, buyers and sellers of assets, investors, and high net worth individuals.
Jim’s most recent Chapter 11 cases include: Derecktor Shipyards, LLC; The Fletcher-Terry Company; Pratt-Read Corp; Technipower Systems, Inc., the SageCrest hedge funds, and Halo Technologies. He also represented Waterworks Inc and the creditors’ committees the bankruptcy cases of Johnson Memorial Hospital and the Marathon group of nursing homes.
He also serves as an independent fiduciary in the investigation and pursuit of recoveries for investors and other victims of fraud. He is currently the Chapter 7 Trustee for the bankruptcy estates of the Michael Goldberg Ponzi scheme.
Jim was the law clerk to the Hon. Alan H.W. Shiff, United States Bankruptcy Judge for the District of Connecticut. He is past Chairman of the Connecticut Bar Association’s Commercial Law and Bankruptcy Section. He served as Counsel to Committee for Revision of Connecticut Bankruptcy Rules and has been a frequent lecturer to groups such as the American Bankruptcy Institute.
- Business Reorganization & Workouts
- Bankruptcy and Insolvency
- Bankruptcy Litigation
- Debtor/Creditor Rights
- Chapter 7 Trustee for the bankruptcy estates of the largest Connecticut Ponzi scheme
- Represented Creditors’ Committee in successful reorganization of multiple nursing homes and management company
- Represented luxury plumbing furnishings company in successful reorganization under Chapter 11
- Represented Chapter 11 Trustee in recovery of various claims against former officers and directors and Section 363 sale of nursing home
- Defended against alleged statutory violations, fraud and other claims on behalf of franchisor
- Represented custom ship builder in successful reorganization under Chapter 11
- Represented hedge fund in successful reorganization under Chapter 11
- Represented creditors in defense of preference claims
- American Bar Association
- Connecticut Bar Association
- Member, Commercial Law & Bankruptcy Section
- Past Chair, Commercial Law & Bankruptcy Section
- Greater Bridgeport Bar Association
- AV® Preeminent™ Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review rated
- Named the Best Lawyers® Litigation - Bankruptcy "Lawyer of the Year," Stamford Metro Area (2013, 2016, 2018)
- Included in The Best Lawyers of America®, Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights (2006 - 2019); Litigation – Bankruptcy (2014 - 2019)
- Named the Best Lawyers Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency & Reorganization Law "Lawyer of the Year," Stamford Metro Area (2015, 2017, 2019)
- Selected, Connecticut Super Lawyers list, Bankruptcy & Creditor Debtor Rights (2006 - 2018); Business Litigation (2013, 2014)
- University of Connecticut Law School, J.D., 1981
- Yale University, B.A., 1977